I love it when two good things join forces to make something great, or even better, delicious. Tandoori chicken is a favorite Indian dish enjoyed all over the world by every culture that enjoys flavorful roasted chicken. When you combine that with one of the building blocks of Ethiopian cuisine, Berbere Spice, you are a few simple steps from one fantastic meal.
African Tandoori Chicken
Yields 4 portionsDownload Recipe
For the Chicken You’ll Need
- 4 each – chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
For the Vegetables You’ll Need
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 4 cups green beans, cut to 1-2” inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ -1 cup water
- To Taste - salt & pepper
For the Spice Rub You'll Need
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- To Taste - salt & pepper
- (Optional for hot & spicy) 1 tsp – African Berbere spice, ground
- (Optional for hot & spicy) 1 tsp – Bird’s Eye Chili or Cayenne pepper, ground
- (Optional) 2-4 tsp – Sugar
For the Peri Peri Sauce
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, canned
- ¼ cup red, onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. paprika, ground
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, fresh, juiced & zested
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- To taste - salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp.-1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- (Optional for hot & spicy) Fresh red chilis
- (Optional for hot & spicy) Cayenne pepper, ground
- Avocado, cubed
- Lavash bread, warm (omit for grain-free or gluten-free diets – can also use gluten-free bread options)
- Parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedge
Method of Preparation for Tandoori chicken
- Use a tandoori clay pot, BBQ grill, or oven baking dish.
- If using a tandoori clay pot or baking dish, preheat oven to 350 degrees, or if using a grill, start the grill.
- Mix tandoori spice rub and coat chicken entirely. Allow chicken to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. While waiting for chicken, you can start other items.
- When the chicken reaches desired temperature, remove, slice, and put it aside.
Method of Preparation for Peri Peri sauce
- In a medium sauce pot on high heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and sauté onions & garlic for 2 minutes. Add peppers & coriander seeds and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except the water and olive oil.
- Season to taste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add mixture to kitchen blender, add water and puree.
- Slowly drizzle in oil only as needed to emulsify. Add water and/or oil if too thick.
- Season to taste. Should be lemony, tangy, & zesty.
Method of Preparation for Cauliflower rice & green beans
- In large sauté pan heat green beans on high with ½ Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower rice to the pan and deglaze with a ¼ cup of water. Put the lid on the pan to create a steaming effect and steam for 2 minutes.
- At this point the vegetables should be done, season to taste with salt & pepper. If it needs to cook more, stir pan and add more water and cover for another 2 minutes repeating until vegetables are done.
To assemble the dish, start by placing the vegetable mixture in a bowl or plate, set chicken on top, add sauce, and add desired garnishes. Enjoy.
From the kitchen of Chef Kyle Williams. Bon appetite!